Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Inexpensive Entertainment. Cardinals by Norma A. Boeckler

 


Several times I have bought popcorn with the thought the birds and squirrels would have a delightful treat. The kettle corn went first into the human kettle. Dr. Fuhrman would frown.

I saw an air popper, which is quick working and fat free, so I got that for the squirrels. A few warm, popped ones (without sugar) were tasty but not exactly temptation. I put a warm pile of fresh popcorn on one barrel outside. 

Soon a squirrel was stretched across the whole pile, as if warming up or simply saying, "I found it. The popcorn is all mine."

Nothing lights up Creation like popcorn. All the birds come down for some, if I scatter them in the four wire baskets and the two barrel tops.

The animal restaurant business is going so well that I had a male cardinal land in the front yard looking at me. He was perched on a Clethra shrub. Next he hopped even closer. I promised more food in the back.

He may be the cardinal who landed on the kitchen ledge outside and peered inside to see if I was incapacitated and no longer feeding the birds and squirrels. Cardinals, especially male cardinals, are shy - except when they are spoiled and hungry.

Bob's mother used to talk to the cardinals at their feeder, so close she could almost pet them.

When bad weather is predicted - every other day - I make sure I have shelled peanuts or peanuts in the shell for our winged and four-legged entertainers. If I feel like a little popcorn, I spread the rest outside.