Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Planting Weeds - Milkweed, Joe Pye Weed, and Butterfly Weed

Halcyon Hosta

Milkweed is the non-commercial weed of choice. to attract the Monarch butterfly. We have a great run of daffodils, then the roses bloom, and later the Joe Pye Weed blossoms with the clethra to make it a butterfly and hummingbird garden.

Yesterday, I asked Ranger Bob, "Seen any hummers?" He said "No, but I would get those feeders up, if I were you." Sassy and I were resting from digging in the weeds when the first hummer showed up. It did little circles where the first feeder hanger was, the then one hanging from the beam, then middle hanger. It repeated the pattern, as if to say, "Where is the food?" They are known for that, so I filled one feeder and put it on the first hanger. 

I said, "Sassy, we will get more food for them tomorrow." I sang a song I composed for the occasion.

When I have troubles and cannot sleep,

I count our hummers instead of sheep.

And I fall asleep

Counting our blessings.

Sassy was moved, though she did not join me in howling. Later she crept closer on the bed and stuck her head into my hand for a thorough head and ears rub. 

I have some hostas ready for planting in the morning, after soaking. Most will be some kind of blue hosta. I now have a semi-automatic rain barrel, so I used it today to soak the weed plants in rain water. All I have to do is lower the hose, open the valve, and fill the buckets or watering cans. 

Some new roses needed canes watered today because of the winds, so that was easy, not hauling water from the backyard barrels (which are manual, dip and haul).