Monday, June 6, 2022

Mr. and Mrs. Robin in the Bird Bath

 Robin, by Norma A. Boeckler

I cleaned off - with Dawn - the garbage barrels and rinsed out the two bird baths on the ground - former kiddie pools. I always put the shallow one on a slant so the birds can land on the dry side and go to the bathing side. They are suspicious of something completely full.

I looked out the kitchen window and saw two robins facing each other. One (Mrs. Robin) was motionless and facing the other (Mr. Robin) who was having a great time bathing in the shallows.

Birds have to have baths and preen their feathers for flight. They need something above ground to finish, when they preen.

Mrs. Robin was silent and not moving while Mr. Robin dipped his head in the water, shook some over his body, and then splashed his tail feathers. Then he shook himself and started over. Each time Mrs. Robin remained fixed in that spot and not moving at all.

Mrs. Robin - "Are you done yet?"

Mr. Robin - "Just one more time. The Ichabode has a new spa for us." Splash splash.

Mrs. Robin - "Same one. Are you done yet?"

Mr. Robin - "One more time. I am getting all the grit and dust out." Splash. Splash.

Mrs. Robin - "I could use a bath too. Are you done yet?"

Mr. Robin - "OK. One more splash and I can do my preening. Oh, wow, feel so good. I will look 10x more handsome now."

Mrs. Robin - "Jump on the low branch and give me some room. The kids will be chirping for lunch."

Mr. Robin found his low branch and began preening. Mrs. Robin took his spot and enjoyed her own shower.