Sunday, June 12, 2022

Drought - Not Floods - And the Birds Frolic

 Starlings are usually the first birds to jump into the birdbath as a group. Today all the varieties seemed to be taking their turn.

We had an unusual gathering of birds today, because it is getting so dry and hot, aiming toward 95 degrees soon.

Knowing the prediction, I emptied both baths, cleaned them, and filled them with shallow water, sitting on a slight incline. Birds love to land on the dry area and slowly walk into shallow water. The splashing follows.

Ranger Bob advised me not to water when the day was so hot and sunny. I wanted the gardens relatively dry before evening, because slugs come out in the zillions among the plants at night. Watering greatly encourages them, and they love to eat holes in tender vegetation, including new Hostas and Calladiums. 

 Humpback Whale Hostas are striking in color, size, and beauty. My investment in time has paid off for the first plants to grow and dominate.

I told Bob, "You fix the cars while I fix the gardens." He laughed. 

 Calla Lilies keep blooming when watered. "They are in bloom again, rawlwy they are."

Calladiums can be Cardinals


 Or Sweethearts



I have booked the backyard gardens for tomorrow morning, to give the new Joe Pyes a good start and perk up the Hostas, about to bloom for the hummingbirds. 

 Or a White Christmas