Monday, June 27, 2022

Eat Your Medicine! - Your Midnight Icha-peek

My parents loved desserts, so they launched my career in the bakery business with my own cake for my first birthday.

The new battle cry, after reading Joel Fuhrman, is "Eat your medicine!" I had a big laugh with one couple about that. If we put the favorite food items for Americans - loaded with sugars, fats, and salt - on one table, and the healthiest foods - packed with nutrition - on the other, the choice would be more obvious.

I weigh myself on a digital scale each morning, so I can get immediate results from the previous day's food. Yes, I have slipped two pounds and worked back to the lowest weight quickly. I have concluded that butter remains a gateway drug for bread-eaters, so I have tossed the last loaf of cheap bread out for the birds. They love it.

The scale is a warning, the Law, but the fresh foods are all positive, created from Day One to keep us healthy. I enjoy refreshing my nutrition memory by looking up "the nutritional value of" and studying why I am eating a wide variety of beans, vegetables, fresh fruit, with nuts and some seeds.

Some people hate lima beans, they have have shocking high values for various minerals. Try this lima link.

Chickpeas reign supreme - look at these garbanzo values, lots of zinc. I am rust-proof now.

One part of changing habits is filling up on greens, which have almost no calories until people put dressings on with a snow shovel.

Another part is feeling satisfied without fats, a good solution with beans, which are rich in protein and other key ingredients for health.

I finally got wise about various sources of fiber, which keep us full and also slow down food burning. We tend to deny that desserts do the opposite.

This became my nightmare, forced into papal donut tyranny.

Lots of raw food combos are delicious and packed with nutrition, going far beyond a list of vitamins. There are many medicinal substances in plants, fruits, and seeds. The irony is replacing inexpensive foods with highly promoted and expensive over-the-counter cures. 

People gasp at the price of fresh, good apples and eat drive-through sandwiches at $5 each. But the sandwiches have sugars, salt, and plenty of fat - added value! A $5 McDonalds quarter cheese with bacon will buy a box of spinach leaves that will last six or more large salads. The sandwich has almost no nutrition, protein plus the things we do not need. Spinach leaves have lots of benefits.

Fruits at home right now are:

  • Blueberries
  • Oranges
  • Apples
  • Papaya - lots of Vitamin C
  • Fresh pineapple
Desserts will kill our appetites for fruits, but fruits do the same for desserts. Since being overweight causes or contributes to so many health problems, it makes sense to spend less and get more from shopping.

 At the age of four I was an unpaid model for the annual donut calendar. A glazed donut uses all the main food groups - sugar, white flour, grease, and salt. These are diet glazed donuts, because the hole in the middle decreases the total calorie count.