Monday, January 1, 2024

Ominous Rapping on the Door During the NY Eve Service

 


During the sermon last night I heard a rapping on the living room door. Charlie Sue was alarmed and looked me. She was ready to defend the household. I excused myself and left the chapel for the front door. I unlocked the door and cautiously opened it. 

Charlie Sue is alert to every sound.


Bible John said, "Excuse me, but we need some Bibles for the prison ministry." He wanted the medium sized KJVs, which were for the women's groups. "Would you like 10 of them?" He looked sad - that was not enough. I offered, "How about 20?" He was not entirely happy. I was not sure of prices so I left the total uncertain. After the service I found them at only $9 and ordered 30. They are already on the way in about five days. 

Norma Boeckler wrote after the service, "That was so neat that the Bible man came to the door requesting more Bibles. A good way to spread  God's Word with the KJV Bible."

I named him Big John for his size, but he said, "No, I am Bible John." In sales he is called a "closer." He knows what he needs and presses the point. Some rapid orders have yielded tiny KJVs, which went to children, 20 for only $100. 

Another order was assumed to be the largest print - Super Giant Large Print - but ended up just the regular size, $10 each. Bible John said, "That's OK. It is what they want for the prison ministry for women." The Super Giant Print KJVs are favored by the seniors like me - $14 each. Bible John simply asks people if they have a Bible and offers them one. "Does it cost?" He says, "They are free."