Friday, July 27, 2007

Application - Efficacy of the Word


Pietists grieve that I emphasize the efficacy of the Word alone. They glory in their own works, so they compare their glittering vices (as Augustine said) to my happiness in promoting Luther's doctrine.

The Pietists are easy to spot. Their authority lies in their imaginary and imagined accomplishments. They mention their parentage (my father was only a baker). They were born in a given synod (something beyond my control). They have titles, offices, and various awards given out among the many self-promoting Lutheran lobbying groups. The best unintentional parody is the Sword of Boldness award.

All I do is broadcast the Word with abandon (Mark 4, Isaiah 55, Romans 10). Once I thought of foreign missions, but now I am content to deal with pagans called Lutheran who despise Luther's doctrine while worshiping a wooden, carved idol called Holy Mother (fill in the blank) Synod.

So I publish around 50 sermons a year, offer Holy Communion 24 times a year, and publish books, content to let God manage what I cannot. I find it disturbing that a WELS pastor could call himself a failure after giving good sermons, baptizing plenty of children, and offering the sacrament of the altar throughout his life. The synods have failed in undermining and despising the Means of Grace. Ordinary pastors have not failed if they remain faithful.

When I read about conventions, I see how little they concern facing doctrinal matters, how much they are consumed with politics.