Saturday, September 1, 2007

My Walther Idol


Somebody made little statues of Walther for Christian News to sell. I got one for free. The statue sits overlooking my computer, a good replacement for St. Christopher, who was erased by the Church of Rome.

I do not have a quia subscription to the writings of Walther (or Luther, for that matter). Walther had some good points, but he was completely wrong about UOJ. Unfortunately, many pastors and some laity are still messed up over UOJ - forgiveness without faith, without the Word, without the Means of Grace.

Nevertheless, some of Walther's sayings are good and worth following:


  1. The nearer to Luther, the better the theologian. Notice that the Church Growth leaders and the crpto-Catholics are united in avoiding Luther. The Reformer is the greatest theologian of all time because of his integrated knowledge of the Bible, church history, and literatue. His unified view of the Bible is enough by itself to make him one of the greats in theology, but God granted him an overflowing of talent in church history, literature, and music as well.
  2. Not many, but much. That means - Do not read all the books, but a few books over and over. The older I get, the less I want to read all the new books in theology, the more I want to re-read the best books of the past. I never tire of Luther's sermons. When I finish reading one of his sermons to my wife and write my own, people email me: "That was a great sermon." Pastors and laity would do well to lay aside most books and read the KJV (or a version thereof), the Book of Concord, Luther's Sermons, What Luther Says, Chemniz Examination of the Council of Trent. Synod leaders should be studying instead of traveling around the world at the expense of members who cannot afford such luxuries.
  3. Attend to your reading. All pastors and synod leaders must be "apt to teach." They must study. Augustine is the foundational theologian for the Church. His City of God and Confessions permeate all theology. City of God is more of an encyclopedia, not a book to read through. People who appreciate Luther will see how much of Augustine is in Luther's thought.