Saturday, October 13, 2007

When I Had Cancer


My wife gets upset when I announce, "I am a cancer survivor." I did have a small basal cell carcinoma on my forehead. Surviving that is pretty easy.

I bumped my head while doing some work in the basement in St. Louis. Then, when I noticed a mark on my forehead, I thought, "Oh yes, I bumped it." The mark did not heal. I touched it with Kleenex and got a little bit of blood, not like a cut or wound. I looked up my symptoms in an insurance book and settled on BCC rather than squamous.

Wishing it away did not work so I went to the doctor. He took some off and sent it to the lab for a proper diagnosis. They agreed with me, so I was scheduled for surgery. A fine surgeon took it off in his office. The operation went well, thanks to a local anaethetic and sturdy leather restraints.

KJV 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Canker in this passage can be translated as cancer or gangrene. Both disorders share the same need for a complete cure. When the adventurer who was trapped by a boulder knew he had gas gangrene in his hand, he used his own knife to cut off his arm.

Today people want to massage, finesse, and spin false doctrine. God's Word says it is a cancer or gangrene. False doctrine must be removed completely.