Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Note on Political Comments




I am not going to post comments about politics on this blog. The purpose is to focus on issues of apostasy among Lutherans and to some extent in other confessions. I encourage people to be politically active, to vote, to support candidates who can govern wisely. I could point to several publications, Left and Right, which seem to identify a political stance with correct Lutheran doctrine. That is a mistake. There are some fine political blogs where people can post comments.

I do want to comment about soldiers and politicians. In every war politicians make terrible mistakes, costly errors that cause the deaths of thousands, even millions. Anyone with some knowledge could list events in WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and later. Military leaders also endanger the lives of their own soldiers for various reasons. Our soldiers have to live with the results of politics and incompetence at various levels. Nevertheless, they serve their country bravely and sacrificially.

I have the honor of knowing many of our active duty soldiers. I am proud of their service, their ability, and dedication. I wish I could say the same about political leaders, ecclesiastical and secular.