Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lutherans at Yale:
Sydney E. Ahlstrom



Ahlstrom's Book Won a National Book Award


Sydney Ahlstrom was known an eccentric member of Bethesda. Later I learned from a discussion with Martin Marty (when he lectured at Notre Dame) that Ahlstrom suffered from a severe neurological disorder. A doctor we knew confirmed the diagnosis.

Ahstrom was yet another Augustana Synod member, but he was a layman, like Paul Holmer.

When Ahlstrom lectured at Notre Dame I left class to hear him and got a chance to talk to him again. I recall my Roman Catholic dissertation advisor (Phil Gleason) dismissing Ahlstrom's famous book because of its lack of interest in the Church of Rome. I thought at the time, "And who has heard of Phil Gleason?"

Gleason had a point. I became very interested in Roman Catholic history in America, extremely important now that so many Lutherans are poping.

Ahlstrom obituary