Monday, August 11, 2008

Koine (Greek for "common") WELS Rock Band




In Music Koine rocks St. Marcus, releases debut disc

Koiné actually played one Christmas hymn, “Once in a Royal David’s City,” to let the congregation get a taste of what they do at that time year.

"You have to get the difference between the way the evangelicals and Lutherans look at theology," said James Tiefel, dean of chapel and a professor of worship and homiletics at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary. "The evangelicals will say that a human being has to make a decision to become a Christian. And so the way you get him to make that decision becomes very important. You have to find a way to raise his emotions or convince his intellect. Lutherans will say the Holy Spirit works through the word (Scripture) to create a Christian."

So what is James Tiefel? Markus Jeske? Pente-baptist or Lutheran?

---

Michael Schottey has left a new comment on your post "Koine (Greek for "common") WELS Rock Band":

As usual Rev. Jackson, your analysis is lacking. I'm sorry, but 1) have you ever heard Koine? 2) Did you even read the articles you linked?

I cannot speak for every Koine performance but I know that when at MLC they played ONLY hymns and their CD that my wife owns is ONLY hymns.

***

GJ - "As usual," people all over the world are reading Ichabod and reacting, mostly in a positive way. "As usual," the synod-minders respond with exceptionally lame retorts.

Somehow I linked three reviews without reading the sentences linked. That is how I finished six academic degrees and seven certifications, without reading or comprehending. (John W. Montgomery inspired me.) I never remember anything correctly, either, if someone from the CGM in WELS is speaking about my manifold and unrepentant errors, which include making fun of Fuller, Willow Creek, and them.

Michael throws out the whipped cream defense of WELS. As some may recall (if they remember better than I), I described a Starbuck's where they served fake whipped cream, which I refused to order. The retort from one True Blue WELS woman was that she worked at a Starbuck's using real whipped cream. Quod est demonstrandum - I was wrong again.

Koine (TM) played real hymns at Martin Luther College? One reviewer said they actually played one hymn at another concert, implying that the execution of one hymn was the exception to their usual fare.

The Church Shrinkage Movement loves rock music in church. Their superstar Mark Freier was an early proponent. I would mention his nickname, but minors read this blog and I do not want to shock them. The nickname was well earned, as I know from being an eye and ear witness to Freier's wisdom.

Needless to say, I despise rock music in church or in any church institution. I despise pop, charismatic, Pentecostal, and jazz music in ecclesiastical institutions. The labored defenses of these sacrileges are too pitiful to list. The proponents have show degenerate music is far more effective in removing people from the Kingdom than in bringing them in. Only the Word is effective. The more adulterated the Word is, the less impact it has on anyone. In fact, the danger with adulterating the Word is that the seeming harmony with the Faith makes the exit door to apostasy more appealing. Ask Mark Freier and his lovely wife, who gladly manage and perform atheist and Hindu weddings. Once again, I have to hand it to District Pope Robert Mueller, Vice Pope Paul Kuske, and a host of others for making that transition possible.

Remember how the Lutherans officially blabbered about Paul Gerhardt's anniversary? I was getting out the emesis pan when I read those synodical posts. The various sects should be featuring the hymnody of Gerhardt, Speratus, Luther, Melanchthon, and the great chorales enriched by J. S. Bach's arrangements. Those works glorify God and teach justification by faith. The moderns have dropped Luther's first hymn, "Flung to the Heedless Wind," and substituted the garbage of their contemporary friends, suggesting that Cousin Fritz can write a better hymn than the greatest Biblical expositor of the Christian Church.

Now that I have Mr. Bose playing the organ for me and no one to caterwaul about my hymn selection, I choose mostly great Lutheran hymns for our weekly service. I am now going to feature the words on the blogs as well, since the great hymns teach the faith so well.

Ever since ordination in 1973, Lutherans have complained to me whenever I picked too many Lutheran hymns for the service. Why are they so weak on singing Lutheran hymns? Because Lutheran ministers have bowed to pressure to use generic Protestant hymns, many from revivalism.

Singing in chapel at the Sausage Factory, I was introduced to many hymns we never sang in the LCA. I still love those hymns today. Hearing 200 men sing "A Lamb Goes Uncomplaining Forth" is quite an experience. I would rather experience a great hymn of orthodoxy than have my emotions tweaked by a manipulative song of Pentecostalism.

No one has ever suffered hearing loss from traditional Lutheran hymns. Rock music is destroying the hearing of many artists (sic) and their suffering audiences.

Columbus had a CG rock band too, called Soter (Greek for Savior). The group was ecumenical, loud, boorish, and absent any musical talent whatsoever. And yes, I heard them, playing a Youth Concert in Jenera, Ohio, at the WELS church there. One hymn selection was "Go, Johnny, Go."

With all the comments I am letting through, I should get royalties from Koine for helping to sell their CD.