Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Does Fellowship Mean for the Little Sect on the Prairie?



Pope John is on the far left. Pastor Paul Schneider is on the far right. Paul's congregation in Midland is en-Dowed.


Norman Teigen said...
Greg Jackson went after Pres. Moldstad today and said that Moldstad has not disowned Church and Change. Can anyone help me here? Does the ELS have any kind of investment in Church and Change that we ELSers should know about? I know that one or two might have attended a C&C meeting or two but I am not aware of any links to C&C and the ELS. Please inform me of anything on this subject of which I am ignorant. [As I told GJ, my ignorance is vast and my understanding is thin.]

October 22, 2008 1:19 PM

Anonymous said...
Norm,
By the fact that ELS is in fellowship with WELS puts ELS in connection with Church and Change. It would be good if some objection was made in ELS like they did about women communing women in WELS. It would be like WELS being connected to Thoughts of Faith by the fact that WELS is in fellowship with ELS.

October 22, 2008 2:06 PM

***

GJ - The Preus brothers brought a motion to the floor of the ELS convention, about breaking fellowship with the LCMS over doctrinal issues.

For decades the ELS has worked in harmony with WELS to promote the Church Growth Movement. The ELS finally had a good paper on Church Growth in their Little Journal on the Prairie, but soon after one of their professors endorsed Valleskey's spoiling the Egyptians argument, which was copied from Larry Crab, of Fuller fame.

The Little Sect has always borrowed Church Growth gurus from WELS for presentations. The ELS is known for its pockets of Church Growthism, just as the CLC (sic) is known for theirs.

Norm is a kindly, gracious man. I love his blog. I did not "go after" Pope John the Malefactor. I simply addressed the issue. I did not have Pope John removed from his position. I did not rob Pope John of a living under false pretenses. I did not have Pope John shunned by all his brothers. I did not even slander Pope John. I slandered the real Pope by making the comparison. The Holy Father in Rome never got away with giving as many ministers the Left Foot of Fellowship as Pope John the Malefactor did. So, B-16, I apologize.

Speaking of Fellowship - Read This
When it was thought that Wayne Mueller had a chance of becoming the WELS Synod President, current Bethany Seminary President Gaylin Schmeling said on the floor of the ELS convention, "If they elect Wayne Mueller, we will have to break fellowship with WELS." ELS SP George Orvick frowned when this was said.

So I would call this blog pretty dag-gone mild compared to ELS conventional threats.