Monday, August 24, 2009

Thinning My Library


Sunflower, by Norma Boeckler


I am reducing the number of books in my library. Previously I reduced my theological collection. Now I am selling literature and history.

My new teaching assignments gave me a chance to face my ignorance about many subjects. I was drafted into teaching world religion, which I still teach often. Studying Islam forced me into Byzantine history, so some classics in the field became my lifesavers - Gibbons, John Julius Norwich, etc.

I enjoyed smoking cigars and reading outside as I retooled my brain. However, my eyes began to rebel against teaching online and reading so much. Also, I gave up cigars some time ago, since scientists could not discover cigar anti-oxidants or bioflavonoids to justify them. I did suggest to critics that they were all-natural, contained no caffeine, and employed poor people in Central America.
Now books have to fulfill a number of criteria to stay in my library:

  1. Large print and good margins to spare my eyes. I have a Limited Edition Club copy of Pilgrim's Progress that I would never give up.
  2. Enduring classic.
  3. Very important - a book I will read again many times. I have a nearly complete set of Dickens, from Easton, but I am not going to wear my eyes out on his work, as much as I admire his books.
So I have many excellent books that miss out in one category or another. Gibbons I will read again, but not that edition. I have read Morris on the British Empire at least three times, so that is enough.

Here are the main categories of my collection:

  1. Literature - short stories and novels, including most of Dickens from Easton (leather).
  2. History - Greek, Roman, Medieval, and especially English. I have the fabulous Folio Society 10-volume set of English history, plus some others, such as the Morris set on the British Empire, the three-volume set on Charles I and II, Carlyle on the French Revolution, etc.

Send a comment with your name and email address, if this intrigues you. Tell me your area of interest above (literature, history, particular interests), and I can give more details. I will not publish the comment, but I will give you more titles by email. These books are in almost perfect condition.

Easton books are all leather-bound. Folio Society books are high quality productions, but not leather. I would rather sell a group at a time (English history, Medieval history, literature) than one book at a time. The price would be good - plus shipping. I do not like Franklin leather-bound books because their print is too small. I have some oddities, such as a book by D'Israeli's father. Tiny print, beat-up book, but the content is fascinating.