Monday, August 10, 2009

Thy Strong Word - Sells Used for $65!


Used books sell for deeply discounted prices at Alibris.

I never dealt with them before, but an alleged friend bought Reu's Luther and the Scriptures out from under my nose for only $5. I always wanted that book but was not aware of the vast used market out there when I first got the itch.

This friend got his copy for $5 and gave me the link for a $9 purchase of the same book. Some people think Ichabodians are not considerate, selfless, generous. What more could I ask?

I thought that was pretty funny, so I looked up my name as an author. The prices were what I expected, except for Thy Strong Word, which is offered for more than the original price of $40. I have been shipping it to people for $10 per copy - new. As I explained to one reader, there is not much money in writing so I would rather distribute copies than earn a little more.

Later I will do an English-only version of TSW and produce a free PDF for people to download, through Lulu.

---

Bruce Church has left a new comment on your post "Thy Strong Word - Sells Used for $65!":

Reu's bio (The Lutherans By L. DeAne Lagerquist, p. 218) says he argued against inerrancy of Scripture, so it's odd that you want Reu's book entitled "Luther and the Scriptures," though I haven't read it, nor do I own it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kli5nRmGzm4C&pg=PA218&dq=luther+and+the+scriptures+reu&ei=yT2ASviIHIzIMd6smOEK#v=onepage&q=&f=false

***

GJ - That's why I have a PhD instead of a drive-by DMin. The Shrinkers all have unionistic, drive-by DMins, because a real doctorate is too much work for them. However, they all call themselves "Dr."

Back to the main subject. Yes, Reu did argue against inerrancy at first. He was a true scholar, stunning Germany by coming from America and becoming an expert on German catechisms. His studies led him to conclude Luther did teach inerrancy. Reu became increasingly orthodox, and that really miffed the liberal element in the ALC/LCA wing of Lutherdom. They never forgave him for backsliding into inerrancy. A parallel example is Robert Preus, who abandoned UOJ and clearly taught against it in his last book, Justification and Rome.

Reu could look at a page of German and write it down from memory. Think what he could have done for Paul Calvin Kelm and John Xerox Parlow!

I read about Reu in one of the two Fuerbringer books, which are invaluable for Lutheran history in America. Both books are small volumes full of eye-witness anecdotes about the leading figures of various synods. Ludwig's idiot son Fibby was the man who led Concordia St. Louis into apostasy.