Monday, December 14, 2009

Another Humorless Calvinist Comment







Portrait of the Blogger As a Young Baker

I wonder if Reilly understands satire. He would probably pooh-poor Mollie Hemmingway's PhotoShop of Kieschnick.
I. J. Reilly has left a new comment on your post "Techo-Dolts in the WELS Colleges":

Mr. Jackson,

I think you missed my point about my objection to the way you use the picture of Ski and Glende at the crab restaurant. That's probably because I didn't make myself clear. I will attempt to rectify that mistake here. When "Bishop" Katie published that photo, it was to show them taking a little break and having a good time at a restaurant. Whenever you use it, you do so to create the impression that this is the whole essence of Ski's personality -- that he is always some kind of idle-minded frat boy. I'm sure that you could, if you wanted to, find a picture or two of him looking respectable and "pastorly." You have no desire to do so and want to create the picture that he is not someone to be taken seriously. The fact that you often photoshop that picture to show him in an even more unflattering light compounds the issue. I'm sure there must be a picture or two around of you having a good time with friends and family where you look just slightly goofy. Would you consider it fair if someone took one of those pictures, ran it through a photoshop program to make it appear as if you were partying with John Calvin and made that the image that people thought of whenever they thought of you. This is why your use and abuse of that picture is, indeed, a breaking of the Eighth Commandment. I really feel sorry for you if you cannot see that.

***

GJ - I believe I have Photoshopped that Ski/Glende picture twice. "Often?" I should have that much time. The reason for popping Mark Driscoll into the picture was clear to most Lutherans. Ski, Glende, and Katie went to Seattle for a "pastor conference" as announced in the Glende church bulletin or newsletter. That seems a little vague. Driscoll is in Seattle--Mars Hill--and a favorite of Church and Change. There was no WELS pastoral conference at that time, yet Glende left the impression that he was at one of their conferences rather than a Schwaermer event.

The febrile unionism of Church and Change is a matter of record. Their leaders never tire of running off to Schwaermer conferences and taking more WELS workers with them. They brag about it and deceive the innocent who help for pay for it.

Ski, Glende, and Katie kept bragging and publishing their itineraries, so it was easy to track them. They have not officially denied going to Mars Hill yet, so I am not absolutely certain they were there. I really need their blog and photos. Ski still has his Drive '08 blog up, so I imagine there is more out there.

What this anonymous person sees may not be what I intend. However, Ski does not leave a good impression when his copy-cat CORE starts with a Flash movie of him making fun of sermons. "Faith comes by preaching/hearing," so he makes fun of the proclaimed Word--in favor of what?--popcorn, rock, and movie screens. That was taken down, but the other Flash introductions are tedious, and the website is silly, with stuff jumping around and jaws literally flapping. The content is nil. For some reason, the elderly Paul Calvin Kelm is used for a Bible study borrowed from....the Schwaermer, of course.

I am told this was posed for the newspaper, a rare use of the formal shirt and tie.



Ski posted this himself.

I love the use of "Mr." in a comment about the Eighth Commandment. This person is obviously one of Ski's friends, intimate enough to know exactly how and why the restaurant photo was taken.  Sarcasm is mistaken for wit in the Wisconsin Synod, so I imagine that "Mr." means I am not a pastor if he disagrees with me anonymously. The Chicaneries need someone who can turn a phrase better, an Oscar Levant of Enthusiasm. Presently they are only preaching to the choir, and the choir is munching popcorn in their theater seats.

Do I hear an Amen?

Amen!