Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Looking for Vernon Harley Papers





DK has left a new comment on your post ""We Condemn You for Your Numbers, Now Judge Us for...":

Anon 8:03

Hi, good point. Sad but true. If only we could beat the C&Cers with spell-check. I'm sadly convinced that the WELS is doomed without fearless action: That is NOT to say that the many conservative Confessional pastors and churches in the WELS are doomed.

We are going to have to rely on the rural WELS segment to step up and Just Say No to Enthusiasm.

Professor: In your footnotes for chapter five of TSW, you mention some essays by a Pastor Vernon Harley that are well written and worth reading, but I can't find them anywhere. I'd like to have some LCMS writing to present to my my pastor in our discussion of UOJ. (It helps if I can give in-synod sources) Would it be too much trouble to post these, maybe in your required reading section?

Also, I was wondering if you had any further thought on the Maier essay that I brought up.

thanks for your work,

***

GJ - I had the hard-copies for a long time. Eventually I lost track of them due to lack of interest in the UOJ topic among Lutherans in general. That started changing two years ago.

PM - if you are reading this, send me new copies. I will have to locate them again.
Secondly, they have to be rendered into MS Word so I can post them. But I will get that done.

DK keeps me busy, folks.

It is not our job to judge success, only to apply the Word, regardless of the unwritten rules of the game. I was told that I startled people in WELS by walking up to them and challenging them face-to-face. I did not adhere to their memorized talking point excuses, such as:
"Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater." (I replied - "I don't wash babies in sewage.")

Of course, they demand that everyone tell them their error in private, but that is only so the false teachers can get even through whispering campaigns, meddling in another's divine call, etc. But that is not enough for them either. They will denounce someone in public, as long as they can get away with it. And they often do.

We should tremble at His Word, not at the feet of synod officials.