Saturday, December 26, 2009

Not Every Reader Is a Facebook Friend



Facebook tells me to link up with potential friends, based on mutual friends. I was using that tonight and harvesting a lot of new contacts, people fun to know. Most of them are conservative Lutherans, divided by a common faith - ELS, LCMS, WELS, and independent. A few are school friends.

I clicked off some new ones and had some new conversations started. Then I got this message (the only one like this from Facebook):

Re: Do I know you?

Ah, then you have smeared me without even recognizing me.

Or did you not compose this wee bon-bon of gossip?


And did you not use my image to suit your own purposes, or has another written and made editorial choices for your inglorious sausage-making?

You may go jump in a lake. Or repent, as best suits you.

I wrote back, irenic as always:

My, my. Touchy. The only thing that does NOT offend the ELS is false doctrine.

I was going to let it go at that and not blog about it. But he responded:

James sent you a message.

Re: Do I know you?

"That'll be quite enough from you.  You are a liar and a fool."

I am providing this information because it is so typical of synodical bullying. First of all, the initial post was well researched and not "gossip." Not only are there eye-witnesses to the ELS and WELS pushing women towards ordination, but the latest episode at Willow Creek Wisconsin Lutheran Chapel is another datum to chart the feminist trend among the Shrinkers.

Secondly, the photo was a funny way to illustrate the point made so often in the Little Sect and WELS - "This never happened. We all agree on it." No one ever went to the hoosegow for murder. No DP served time for felonies. No money ever disappeared. No women led the worship services in the ELS or WELS. No women celebrated Holy Communion. There is no Church Growth in either synod. Ask anyone from either synod who went to Fuller Seminary.

Thirdly, the name-calling is unbecoming someone so distinguished that he can shake hands with Pope John the Malefactor. A papal audience is not granted to just anyone. I clicked off about 20 potential friends tonight and only one replied with venom. The rest said, "Sure" and linked up.