Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rich Rev - Poor Rev




Rev. Dr. Stan Olson is on the right, installing a deaconess.

The Rich Dad Poor Dad series is based on a myth. The author's "poor" father was superintendent of the Hawaiian school system, and his "rich" father never existed. Nevertheless, I decided to kelm the concept for this post.

Stan Olson and I were in the same classes at Yale Divinity. Stan was in the doctoral program and I was in the STM program. We took Thessalonians with Abraham Malherbe and the doctoral seminar with Nils Dahl.

We also went to the same LCA congregation, Bethesda, just below the hill where YDS stands. Dahl, Sydney Ahlstrom, George Lindbeck, Jaroslav Pelikan, and Paul Holmer were members of Bethesda. One Sunday I was preaching and a number of YDS professors visited, including Henri Nouwen. The pastor when we were there, Hal Wimmer, became one of the first ELCA bishops when it formed.

Stan earned his PhD and taught at Luther Seminary. He also served a congregation in New Ulm and became a bishop. Now he is serving as head of ELCA's Division for Ministry, one of four main divisions. Apart from achieving the top post, Stan has done it all.

Like Al Barry and Robert Preus, I ended up in various synods while Stan ascended the ranks of the ALC and ELCA. Therefore, I could not avoid running into Stan's name in Lutheran news releases. I recall Stan endorsing Reformed-Lutheran communion, knowing that the Reformed reject the Real Presence and the efficacy of the Word. The ALC pushed for Reformed unionism while the LCA was cuddling with the Antichrist.

Stan was also quoted in his determination to help change the rules for ELCA's homosexual and lesbian clergy. Those who were kicked out will now be welcomed back in, even though one homosexual pastor caused ELCA its biggest lawsuit loss - $40 million.

Perhaps people are thinking that I will label myself the Poor Rev, but I am not. I am the Rich Rev, not in money but in doctrine. I will gladly pass into eternity with nothing left behind, rather than give up the Scriptures and Confessions. I spent my LCA pension money to remain independent, and I have no regrets about that, either.

The Poor Rev is the man who did nothing to stop this travesty but happily pivoted - to change the rules once a convention was manipulated into a desirable outcome.

The Poor Rev has helped impoverish his own church body. He will have a generous retirement, enriched by a constant rise in pension contributions and salary from the same organization. (McCain would be proud of Stan.) In retirement Stan will see ELCA fracture and fail. The dissenters leaving ELCA are inspired, energized, and ready to pay the price for leaving Holy Mother Synod.

---

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Rich Rev - Poor Rev":

Why would any Lutheran (aspiring or not) attend Yale 'divinity' School?????

***

GJ - Why would any Lutheran, aspiring or not, attend Mequon, Mankato, St. Louis or Ft. Wayne?