Saturday, January 30, 2010

Money for Kelm, Not To Finish Degrees





Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Two ELCA Problems Parallel WELS, LCMS, and ELS":

I know this comment is in the wrong place, but did not see a recent post on Wimpy Little College (WLC).

I am surprised that no one has yet commented that WLC rather recently cut some major degrees from their curriculum, leaving some students high and dry. Now they have money for Paul Calvin Kelm as a second campus pastor to work with other pastors' members, maybe do a little WELS sheep-stealing among the non-WELS churched students, and I suppose to make WLC a "mission arm" of the "church" among their unchurched students.

Whence this sudden wealth at WLC to add a "pastor" after cutting curriculum so recently? It must be living proof that a fool and his money are soon parted. Why support a college that leaves students high and dry while pampering a retired reject with a cushy call?

***

GJ - A few seconds ago I was thinking, "Nobody cares about this extra call." I heard from a parish pastor that people dismiss it as WLC going its own way, Kelm wanting a college call when he qualifies for Social Security and Medicare. The same parish pastor says that people on campus think the college needs zero chaplains, not two.

The published description of the call shows that the apostate board--drawn from MLC and CrossWalk Phoenix--wants to promote the failing Church Growth methods of Pietism. Bones would say to Kirk, above, "It's dead, Jim."

---

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Money for Kelm, Not To Finish Degrees":

WELS provides NO financial support to WLC. It is not a synodical school.

***

GJ - Wade a minute. WLC collects donations as a Wisconsin Synod institution, Brigadoonish. When Martin Marty (ELCA) or Archbishop Weakland (Church of Rome) lectures there, it is not WELS. When raising money from the Schwan Foundation, it is WELS. The faculty is WELS, many of them trained at Marquette, which I understand is Roman Catholic. The board is WELS but not Lutheran.

I guess I won't get any fund-raising letters in the mail.


---

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Money for Kelm, Not To Finish Degrees":

"A 4-year, private, co-ed, Christian liberal arts college affiliated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod."
* * * * * * * * * * *
This is a quote from the college's website. They sure don't get to be affiliated with the WELS without funding, finance, and support.

***

GJ - Certain there is a cost based on the synod's connection to WLC. No staff time? Please. The funny thing is - this is used to justify their dabbling in Roman Catholic ecumenism, CGism, and Martin Marty-ism. At those precious moments they are not WELS but totally, seriously independent.

How many millions have gone from the Schwan Foundation instead of MLC or the seminary or the preps? That is not a cost?

Brigadoon.

Why It's Almost Like Being in WELS!

Maybe Marv Schwan gave me the pow'r,
For I could swim Michigan and be home in half an hour.
Maybe the beer gave me the drive,
For I'm all aglow and alive.
What a day this has been! What a rare mood I'm in!
Why, it's almost like being in WELS!
There's a smile on my face for the big Kelm disgrace!
Why, it's almost like being in WELS!
All the music of life seems to be like a bell that is CCMing for me!
And from the way that I feel when that funding appeals,
I could swear I was joining, I would swear I was joining,
It's almost like being in WELS.