Friday, July 9, 2010

The Fox Valley Circuit Cartoons




revfrsds has left a new comment on your post "Lutherans Would Never Fall for This, Would They?":

Hi Greg!

For some reason that picture of Mr. Magoo reminded me of one of my favorite cartoon shows as a kid - "Beany & Cecil."

Let's see, there was, of course, Beany, a little boy with one of those brimless caps with a propeller on top. I do believe he could actually fly with it, though how it was connected to his head I don't remember. He was always going off on some adventure and inevitably getting into trouble. This, naturally, is Ski, who's ecclesiastical flights of fancy get him into hot water.



Then there was Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent, a large green sea snake. He was always rescuing Beany from trouble, but he wasn't too bright. I seem to remember that he could change himself into "Super-Cecil" when needed to get Beany out of particularly difficult situations. Cecil would be Glende and Super-Cecil, VP Gass. They defend Ski no matter how foolish he is.



There was also a ship captain named Huffenpuff, I believe. You never saw much of him. He was afraid of everything and hid in his cabin most of the time. This just has to be DP Doug.




My favorite character was Dishonest John. He was always plotting to catch Cecil - I don't remember why - and just generally get into Beany's way or get him into trouble. One thing I remember well was his calling card which read "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap. Special rates for Sundays and holidays." This became the title for a rock song in the 70's, I think by the group AC/DC. This has simply GOT to be Mr. Ichabod! He works for free, and seeks to foil Beany and Cecil at every turn. Go get 'em DJ!



I'm not making light of the lack of doctrinal discipline in the NWD, just marveling at how life continues to imitate art - or in this case, cartoons!

You could do an entire new blog, using cartoon characters to represent various C&Cers and their ilk. Let's see, there's Heckle and Jeckle, the Three Pigs, Dudley Do-right, my goodness, the possibilities are endless.

Spence