Monday, August 16, 2010

How Delicious It Must Be - For a Lutheran To Denounce Thomism from a Thomist College



From Father Jack Kilcrease - Theologia Crucis

MONDAY, AUGUST 16, 2010

Breaking News: Michael Root Became Roman Catholic

Completely shocking news: Michael Root has become Catholic as of this weekend:

http://tonymetze.blogspot.com/2010/08/dr-michael-root-man-of-great-faith.html

I know, I know- it's way shocking.

When some one goes around saying things like "the law is a way to actualize our relationship with God" or "the theology of the cross isn't really central to Luther's theology" or "there's no difference between Luther and Aquinas on justification" or "Wow, things are bad in the ELCA- you know what would fix it? Having the Pope arbitrate everything"- it's incredibly hard to see why they would become Roman Catholic.

I'm actually quite pleased about the news. Not because I want Dr. Root to start believing in false doctrine (he's already believed in false doctrine for years and this doesn't really change that)-but rather Root has been Roman Catholic in his theology for some time and it's rather unfortunate that he went around saying that he was a loyal Lutheran and running a Lutheran seminary when he really believed in Thomism. It's also unfortunate that he was one of the architects of them getting involved with JDDJ and with the CCM (their ill-thought out adventure with pulpit fellowship with the Episcopalians). In any case, they'd probably have done all that stuff without him.

I might also add, that perhaps some fellow Missourian (who will go unnamed) who thought that he and his colleague David Yeago, were a sign of some progress in the ELCA just because they said positive things about the law, might want to rethink their positions. In fact, as I have pointed out on a number of occasions, these gentlemen do not merely think that the law has a positive place in the Christian life, (as I and every other red-blooded confessional Lutheran also believes) but that it actually is the basis of the divine-human relationship. The gospel is good for them essentially because it makes the law work as a way of relating to God. The gospel for them is not the last word (as it must be!).

We can see the end results. If the center of the Christian faith is the law, who has the most and best defined law? Bingo. I need say no

From -
Reflections of a Classical Orthodox Pastor


----

Dr. Michael Root - A Man of Great Faith!


Dr. Michael Root taught me theology during my seminary years from 1981 to 1985. For the last two years I have been privileged to be his pastor. It was a most humbling experience to have my theological mentor sitting in the pews. But it was even more gratifying to get to know this man of deep faith. Last week a mass was held for his conversion at St. Peter's Catholic Church. It was bitter sweet to be there. I felt a whole whirlwind of emotions from joy at seeing this historic event unfold to sadness that the ELCA has lost yet another great theologian.

5 comments:


Mr. Richard Miesel, O.P. said...
Hi Pastor Metze,Has Dr. Root prepared a public statement about his decision to be received into full communion?Thanks,Mr. Richard Miesel, OP
Pastor Tony Metze said...
Yes, he has. Here is an excerpt. "On Monday I shared with the faculty the news that in the near future I will be received into the Catholic Church. I now wish to share that news with you. This action is not one that I take lightly. TheLutheran church has been my intellectual and spiritual home for forty years. But we are not masters of our convictions. A risk of ecumenicalstudy is that one will come to find another tradition compelling in a way that leads to a deep change in mind and heart. Over the last year or so, it has become clear to me, not without struggle, that I have become a Catholic in my mind and heart in ways that no longer permit me to present myself as a Lutheran theologian with honesty and integrity.This move is less a matter of decision than of discernment.No single issue has been decisive for me, but at the center of my reflection has been the question of how God’s grace engages thejustified person and the church in the divine mission of salvation.How are we redeemed as the free and responsible agents God created us to be?Catholic theology speaks of God elevating the justified person and the church to participation in the divine life and mission, so that Godgrants the Christian and the church participation in God’s actions in a different way than Lutheran theology affirms. Catholic teachings do not follow from that vision with deductive force, but they do hang togetherwith that vision in ways that I have come to find deeply convincing."
Pastor Tony Metze said...
Correction on above comment. This was the statement he sent to the faculty of Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary and was disseminated throughout the internet. I know of no other official statement at this time.