Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yeast and the WELS




Katy Perry: "I kissed a girl and I'm glad," and the classic "Ur So Gay."



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name
I'm afraid that my use of the cliche phrase in the title is not as pleasant as originally intended by Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Yesterday, yet another anonymous visitor left a comment that I believe is vital when it comes to understanding the entire premise of this blog:

Anonymous said...
I wouldn't even care if the CORE existed on its own. What bothers me is that this apostasy falls under the WELS umbrella -a synod I was born and raised in - and it is seemingly okay with those who have the power to put a stop to it. Their silence is deafening and it's causing WELS to lose more members than it's gaining. I know I can no longer support WELS until they start cleaning house, so to speak So much for church 'growth'.
September 14, 2010 11:23 PM

This anonymous user really strikes the nail on the head, at least with regard to the motivation that I myself have in these matters. The Church Growth/Church and Change (or better still - pietistic) methodology is nothing new; as our Lord himself tells us in Ecclesiastes: "There is nothing new under the sun." The fact is, as I've stated amply, I used to buy into much of the anti-Lutheran ideology myself. And that's what it really boils down to: pietistic, reformed theology is not in any way Lutheran. You can slap the "WELS" seal of approval on it, but as the title implies, a rose will still smell like a rose (or in this case, a dung heap), even if you call it something else.

That is why this whole CORE situation is so frustrating to me and many others. We've grown up in the WELS, we've gone through the WELS education system, we know what Lutheranism (and dare I say, Christianity in general) is supposed to be . . . and then we see what our leaders are blatantly allowing to occur under the auspices of the very same. If the individuals involved in such institutions as the CORE want to leave and start their own church bodies, I'm not going to stand in their way. For that matter, I'd stop blogging about it, because my concern here is erroneous teaching within the (confessional) Lutheran church. Even if, in the very least, the appropriate leaders took a stand and denounced the goings-on in these faux-Lutheran institutions, I would be somewhat satiated. Unfortunately, as has been demonstrated through this blog and others like it, none of the aforementioned has come - or seems to be coming - to fruition.

In light of this, it is clear to me that the founders of CORE-like institutions, and the relevant leaders in charge of them, are purposefully deceiving the church body they are called to nurture and defend. Whether or not they think they are "doing the right thing," they are talking one game and playing another, which is clearly not the Scriptural mandate. If they think that sound Lutheran doctrine is not valid, they need to enumerate their concerns and make them known to the public, rather than dwelling in deceitful darkness. Of course, this will never happen, because confessional Lutheranism is not the party whose false doctrine needs addressing.
Posted by Daniel Baker at 10:39 AM Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Google Buzz
Labels: CORE, deceit, Ski, WELS

---

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What Is a Troll?
The following comments were left on a previous post by an anonymous user from Oshkosh (according to Feedjit, at any rate):

Anonymous said...
Troll. Just like this blog.
September 15, 2010 2:26 PM

Anonymous said...
Funny how this so called "unbiased" blog screens responses. Afraid of a good debate? You've been had Troll. Nice try.
September 15, 2010 2:29 PM

Let us look at the definition of a "troll:"
Internet troll (or simply troll in Internet slang): someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Read more: http://pursuitmag.com/cyber-crime-terms-and-definitions/#ixzz0zdnmCTxP


Interesting stuff. According to this definition, the only troll in the room is the individual who made the accusation in the first place. I know, I know. You're not supposed to "feed the troll." I couldn't help myself, though, in that I find it necessary to illuminate the fraudulent hypocrisy of those in favor of destroying orthodox Christianity.

Now, to address the somewhat legitimate concern raised by the anonymous individual regarding the so-called bias of this blog. The only reason I turned on comment filtering (those who have been here since the beginning will note that it was originally open to free commenting) is because detractors were posting grotesque and profane comments quicker than I could delete them (immature sexual references, offensive profanity, and other similar distasteful things were being utilized). Subsequently, I found it necessary to not allow this sort of filth to be posted on my blog, lest it reflect poorly on the content of this site. I do not filter comments just because they disagree with me. Unlike some, I welcome diversity in thought and opinion.
Posted by Daniel Baker at 3:55 PM Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Google Buzz
Labels: Trolls

***

GJ - The assistant pastor left St. Peter's Freedom (Glende) because of deceit. That was never addressed, from what I read. DP Huff n Puff is doubtless writing another letter to send - in lieu of a face-to-face meeting. So scary!

Notice, readers, that the people supporting The SORE were eager to send abusive comments to the blogger. Ski and Glende are transforming lives, but not in a positive way.