Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Real Whipped Cream

Hot coffee and cold weather go together,
like Fuller and UOJ.


Henrici's Restaurant in Chicago introduced me to whipped cream in coffee, when I was but a lad. I was not drinking coffee that night, but they offered it to my parents who were - a little cup of whipped cream instead of those chemical concoctions foisted on people today.

Normally I drink coffee black, very rarely with sugar. However, I whip cream for guests and use my secret formula, which I am happy to share.

Fresh whipped cream floating on a mug of gourmet coffee is a treat, and it really enhances any flavored coffee, saving some pots from the dangers of brewing the mix too strong. Whipped cream is also an important aid in gaining weight, so I am not anxious to make it a daily habit.

My mother stole off on her family farm with cream, which she whipped up and ate by herself, adding some sugar to the mix. Stolen fruit may be sweet, but stolen whipped cream is even better. I have often volunteered to make it, since the messy beaters need to be licked clean before being washed.

Here are two secrets to making exceptional whipped cream. One is a tiny pinch of salt. That brings out the flavor without making it seem salty. Otherwise it is a little flat (although I can still choke it down). Another secret is adding rum flavoring or another alcohol based flavor. Real vanilla flavoring is a given, but a little rum flavoring (found in the same section of the grocery store) gives it a lift, just as rum and ice cream are natural together - so I've heard.

I have dropped semi-sweet chocolate chips into fresh coffee. I am not sure that makes much of a difference. I do like adding chocolate syrup to whipped cream and putting that on cake. If the whipped cream diet is not adding weight fast enough, add cake.

There are many convenient forms of canned whipped cream at the store. All of them keep the price down by adulterating the contents. I would rather have gourmet whipped cream once a year than canned whipped cream all the time. But in a pinch, in the presence of pumpkin pie, without a mixer and cream, I will use the canned stuff too.

Canned whipped cream reminds me of Church Growth services, predictably mediocre.