Sunday, January 16, 2011

The increasing frequency of Holy Communion in Protestant churches « Churchmouse Campanologist

The increasing frequency of Holy Communion in Protestant churches « Churchmouse Campanologist


j0313880How often should one take Holy Communion?  Should it be offered at every church service as it is during Holy Mass in the Roman Catholic tradition?
I am uncertain and have been for many years.  As I grow older, I look back at the hundreds of times I have received the Body and Blood of Our Lord.  There were times when I was more prepared than at others.  I believe that I should have refused it by remaining in the pew when I was unprepared spiritually.
That will appear as a distinctly Protestant viewpoint, yet it is a valid one.  More Protestant denominations — namely Anglicans, Lutherans and some Evangelical non-denominational churches – are offering Holy Communion more than what used to be the customary one-Sunday-a-month.  Why do they wish to do this?  Two Sundays a month are understandable, but every Sunday is a bit much for the average communicant...

***

GJ - I believe we should distinguish between how often it is offered and how often it is taken.

The norm for offering Holy Communion in the Book of Concord is - every Sunday and special services. Since not every person can commune on a given Sunday, offering the Sacrament each Sunday seems to be the best practice.

For WELS Lutherans, that would mean eliminating entertainment and the WELS ad/video.