Monday, February 28, 2011

From the Author of Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther



From DoctorBainton:

Dr. Bainton told me how Douglas Macintosh's wife and baby both died in childbirth 60 years before. He told me that Macintosh was scheduled to preach in chapel the following Sunday and kept the obligation, choosing as his text Habakkuk 3, 17:


Although the fig tree shall not blossom,
neither shall fruit be in the vines; the
labour of the olive shall fail, and the
fields shall yield no meat; the flock
shall be cut off from the fold, and there
shall be no herd in the stalls;
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will
joy in the God of my salvation.



Dr. Bainton was 82 and I was 31 when he sat across from me in Jonathan Edwards dining hall filled with students and told me that story of the man whose name I bore.
 
Dr. Bainton wept openly for one of the longest minutes of my life when he was through.

***

GJ - All the professors at Yale Divinity were called Mr. rather than Dr., even though they all had one PhD, sometimes two.

Bainton was the exception. He was so respected by all the students that everyone called him Dr. Bainton. Thus the name of the blog is Dr. Bainton.

I find that interesting in an era when Luther-hating Shrinkers get a drive-by DMin so they can call themselves "Dr."

Isn't that funny, Dr. Kelm?
Dr. Olson?
Dr. Witte?
Dr. Krause?
Dr. Parlow?