Friday, February 4, 2011

Snowbound in Bella Vista

We even went to the park after the earlier, lighter snow.
Sassy Sue thinks I shovel the driveway so we can go the park.


Sassy and I worked on the driveway, the third day in a row. I thought it was usable, about 50% clear with plenty of blue stuff on it. Mindful of Norman Teigen's advice, I bought recycled toxic waste from New Jersey. It melts the snow and the concrete, in one continuous (but odiferous) action.

Mrs. Ichabod and I took off in the Icha-boat for a vital shopping trip for bead material. Tiny flakes fell every so often but we did not worry. After lunch and a trip to the East Indian grocery store, we noticed that heavy snow was falling. In fact, I had trouble leaving my parking space.

The roads were not very clear yet - not even 540, which is federal. State highway 71 was worse, but I have driven in Minnesota, Canada, and Michigan. Little Switzerlnad has steep hills, graceful curves, deep ravines. We were almost home when we noticed cars backing down Riordan, the main road to our street. They could not climb the steep hill, so they began backing down.

My only alternative was to drive around the back way, up to the post office, across, and mostly downhill. That included some hills up and down, where the traction almost ceased.

I missed the turn left onto Riordan, which meant finding a turnaround on a narrow, snowy road that needed plowing. Snowfall was plenty heavy. As Luther said, Being a Christian means even the weather is against you.

When I tried to turn around, the Icha-boat stalled out, straddling the road, not wanting to move forward or backward. Then by chance, if it was by chance, the chassis skidded around to face the right direction. The engine was fine - the traction was doubtful, so forward or backward motion was close to zero. At that point I was imagining AAA saying, "We can be there by sunrise, perhaps."

We went slowly back toward Riordan and went downhill in low. There is nothing like a quick brake action for a spin into a ravine. We spotted the Ich-abode and I turned in with some speed to avoid a plop in the middle of a drift. I have planted a large car on top of soft snow before. The shoveling that follows is slow and awkward.

Next I swerved into our driveway, another slushy barrier of snow to breach. The driveway is long and downhill. Opening the garage door remotely, I drove down toward it. Mrs. Ichabod warned me that she did not want to get out of the car in the laundry room or kitchen (due to a loss of control). I was going to joke that we had the entire garage to lose speed, but I held off on the humor.

We landed safely in the garage. Inside the three dogs greeted us as if Ulysses had arrived from his 20 year journey. It was great to be back. We were thankful to God for a safe journey home.

The new snowstorm caught everyone by surprise. Children were in school and people went to work. Almost everything is canceled for Saturday.

All week I have received daily messages from UPS about delivering my coffee. Today I got another one - they will deliver on Monday. They forgot to add - "God willing."