Tuesday, April 5, 2011

ELCA Bishop Skips Out One Year Before His Term Is Up

April 1, 2011
ELCA Central/Southern Illinois Synod Bishop Accepts New Call
11-043-JB
[Click for larger image] The Rev. Warren D. Freiheit, bishop of the ELCA Central/Southern Illinois Synod     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Warren D. Freiheit, bishop of the Central/Southern Illinois Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), notified the synod this week that he will resign as bishop effective June 30. Freiheit, 63, will begin a new call July 1 as pastor of Christ Lutheran Church, Hot Springs Village, Ark.

     "It has been my desire to someday return to parish ministry, and yet I did not expect that service to begin quite this quickly," Freiheit wrote in a March 30 letter to the synod. "As I have concluded ministries in three separate congregations, I did so knowing that there were incomplete ministry objectives. As I prepare to conclude my ministry as synodical bishop, I do so realizing that I again do so with incomplete ministry objectives. Each of the congregations I served continued faithfully in their missions after I left with new spirit-led leadership, and I am confident that the same will be true for the
Central/Southern Illinois Synod."

     Serving as bishop of the synod "has been humbling as well as exhilarating," Freiheit wrote, adding that he accepted his new call "with mixed feelings and regret" that it came a year before concluding his second term as bishop.

     Freiheit was first elected bishop in 2000. He had previously served as pastor of three ELCA congregations in Illinois. [More lying drivel at this link.]