Wednesday, May 11, 2011

F. Pieper versus Calov and the Book of Concord



LPC has left a new comment on your post "Robert Preus - Justification by Faith, Part I":

Pr Greg,

Firstly thank you for this Sunday's sermon, it was such a blessing. If only the critics of Ichabod would also take time to listen to your sermons, they would know of a different Greg Jackson.

People should compare what Calov said with the LC-MS Brief Statement 1932 Article 17 (authored by F. Pieper?)

Scripture teaches that God has already declared the whole world to be righteous in Christ,.

They should see how different this article is from the statement made by Calov.

LPC

***

GJ - What irritates me most is the UOJ Stormtroopers using Calov and Gerhard to advance their cult. Neither theologian is well known or read by clergy. One might as well claim the ancient Egyptian oracle as an ally, saying "She was 100% UOJ."

The Scripture citations for the Brief Statement declaration are utterly deceitful, but I have always found UOJ followers to be dishonest. I find it shocking that this Pieper statement was accepted by people reading Gausewitz and the old Missouri catechism. That suggests that teaching the efficacy of the Word in the Means of Grace was supplanted by teaching worship of the synod.

The personal attacks only mean that I have pulled the rug out from under their Enthusiasm. The most significant response is the unspoken "You do not exist and therefore I do not need to acknowledge anything you have written." I only wish they would acknowledge Luther and the Book of Concord. I do not mind enraging them if they have to run to the Confessions to support their dubious claims.

I went a few rounds with people on LutherQuest (sic). They were consistently dishonest. For instance, one would quote the Book of Concord and exult - "UOJ!" I would cite the same passage with the next sentence where justification by faith was clearly taught. They were citing atonement passages as UOJ proof.

Rolf Preus was a curious example. He asked for the justification chapter in Thy Strong Word while I was working on it. He wrote back that he agreed. When TSW was barely finished, he told the LQ denizens that he had already read the book (640 pages) and denounced it. That was before sending PDFs or downloading them through Lulu, which I was not yet using.

I responded to Rolf, pointing out the facts (no one had the book) and quoting his email. His pals immediately buried my comment with a ton of theirs. That happened often. A friend of mine said, "Why bother with that skunk patch?" so I quit.

Of course, not one of them can grasp what Robert Preus wrote in Justification and Rome.

---

Brett Meyer has left a new comment on your post "F. Pieper versus Calov and the Book of Concord":

I had the same experience on Luther Quest (sic). I brought up a question about UOJ which initiated and sustained what might be described as an LQ Dog Pile.

http://www.lutherquest.org/discus40/messages/69842/68185.html?1200691900