Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Artful Dodger - On the Felonious Founder of Faithless Forgiveness



I don't justify the Walther kidnapping but ...  I knew about it from the time I was at the seminary (1970s).  So there was no attempt to hide that fact then (I think it came up in Zion on the Mississippi.  I also was aware of Stephan's previously being accused of womanizing.  Of course, the assumption was of his innocence.

I agree though that Stephan was running a small cult.  This is probably the real reason they were wondering about the reality of their calls and church after Stephan left.

I believe the children wanted to leave with the Saxons so the "kidnapping" was more of assisting runaways than what we would call kidnapping - not that that justifies it.
A.D.

***

GJ - That would make a good defense - "The kids wanted to go to America, so my brother and I took them from our father's parsonage while he was deathly ill. Sure, we had to hide the children, because the police were trying to get them back. I wanted to be like Jonah, so I hopped the first ship out of town. God vindicated me by sinking the one I would have been on."

As one sales manager said, "Any excuse will do."