Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pixelation in Christian Doctrine



The UOJ Enthusiasts, as Joe Krohn observed on another blog, zoom into the Scriptures or Confessions - to the point of pixelation. Everything is out of focus because they neglect the context.

For example, I wrote a complete sentence in Photoshop, on a tiny file. I expanded several times to pixelate it, posting it above. Now the sentence is so blurred that a UOJ scholar could write several books on its origin, meaning, and influence. However, I am retaining the movie rights.

---


LutherRocks said...
I had one more comment that I thought of last evening when I was skimming over this post; it is directed at Pr. Webber and those who seem to find this OJ lying next to SJ all the time in scripture and the BoC. I see the problem as a failure to look at Justification in context. UOJ works when you zoom in too far to certain passages; just like other heterodox religions do to make their doctrine work. Ironically, when I read the study notes from the Concordia NIV to a WELS heavyweight re: Romans 3:22-24, he thought it sounded like limited atonement...of course it was taken verbatim from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible. The irony is that Calvinists fall short with the 'all' and UOJers overshoot the 'all'.

Mr. Lindee made a great stride by putting the Ambrose quote in context from the letter. I would only add that where this quote appears in the Apology follows under these headings: Of Justification 1-47; What is Justifying Faith? 48-60; That Faith in Christ Justifies 61-74; That We Obtain Remission of Sins by Faith Alone in Christ 75-121.

So you see it is always in the context of faith; justified by faith in the Propitiator, namely, Jesus Christ.
---
Joe identified the problem, so I gave it a name - soon to be entered into Icha-slang, pending approval by the Board of Directors.

The LCMS pixelated Romans 4:25 in their Brief Statement of 1932, and no one noticed.