Thursday, November 3, 2011

Good Idea for Backing Up Research, This Blog and Others



Hi Dr. Jackson,

 I found out that the supposed backup feature in Blogger.com is quite limited. It just backs up your
text, but not pictures or anything else. In order to "mirror" your entire blog or website, one has to 
use a free program like WinHT Web Site Copier available at Download.com.

  So two days and some hours ago I aimed it at your home page for Ichabod, and even though I 
have AT&T U-Verse 200 Level, it took all that time to download your entire Ichabod blog. The total was
27.4 GB and  98,000 files. Blogger.com fed the files to my PC over the internet at a rate of about 27 kilobytes per second, I think it was.

 Of course, each file is not a blog entry. I suppose you have several thousand blog entries, and the way website editing works, you end up with many files and a few sub-directories per blog entry.

  So now I can browse Ichabod all the way back to 2006 or whenever the first entry was, all offline. It's
speedier, too, since it doesn't have to be downloaded to my computer as I navigate.

Anyway, I suggest you get WinHT and back up your entire site in case some hacker destroys it first, or just for peace of mind. I'll keep and update my copy of it.

***

GJ - My specialty is destroying peace of mind, among false teachers. Notice how useful this would have been for downloading all of Church and Change or Issues in WELS, both now as extinct as the dodo bird.

Also, trying to search with the little window on the blog - it is not very effective. I often just use Google's main search window for that.