Thursday, February 23, 2012

Breaking News:
Luther Conceded He Was a Faith-ian



Compare and contrast Paul McCain, MDiv:

I have, over the years, talked to many Calvinists, in person and over the Internet. I always ask them, “Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are among God’s elect and are saved?” There are generally two reactions to that question: (1) A long and rather painful pause after which they say, “I hope I am. I do believe in Christ.” or (2) A quick, “Yes, I believe in Christ.” Now, let’s be honest here and admit that many Lutherans would answer in somewhat the same way. But here is the problem.


If our confidence that we are saved is based on our feeling that we have faith, we will flounder. The answer we must always give to the question of “Do you know you are saved?” is not, “Yes, because I have faith” but rather, “Yes, because Christ Jesus died for me” and of course, in my opinion, the very best answer of all is simply to point people to Luther’s explanation of the Creed and say, “Here, this puts it very well.”


Never look to your subjective feeling that there is faith in your heart. Always, always, always, look to Christ and what He has done for you and the whole world. Do not confuse faith in faith, with trust in Christ. There is a key difference.


We are Christians, not Faith-ians.

---

churchmousec (http://churchmousec.wordpress.com/) has left a new comment on your post "Breaking News: Luther Conceded He Was a Faith-ian":

And, defending the Calvinist corner ... ;)

True Calvinists know doctrinally, not emotionally, that they are saved through Christ's sacrifice on the Cross.

John MacArthur put it well in this sermon from 2003:
http://www.gty.org/resources/print/sermons/62-30

'Why do I feel sure of my salvation? Because I understand the work of God in Christ. It's not a matter of holding on to my assurance emotionally. I hold on to it doctrinally, it's facts revealed in Scripture, historical realities in the Bible. It's not a feeling. That is why there is such strength in that great eighth chapter of Romans. Listen to how Paul says this, Romans 8:38 ... Was he persuaded by the recollection of some emotional experience of the past? No. He was persuaded by the facts of the gospel that the love of Christ for His own was an eternal love, that sin was no longer an issue because it was completely paid for. We who know that relish assurance based upon sound doctrine. I am secure. I do believe in Christ. Therefore I enjoy my assurance for Christ has guaranteed it to me, having become the perfect substitute who paid the price for all my sins. This is just the heart and soul of our assurance.'

Sorry to read, Dr Jackson, that you have received such poor responses to your question. Perhaps you received responses from Remonstrants, who are not Calvinist in doctrine.

Churchmouse

***

GJ - Dear ChurchMouse,

Paul McCain's statements are a wonder. He does not know Lutheran doctrine at all but constantly fights against it, with a Roman Catholic employee as his UOJ expert. Like his blog-buddy Jack Cascione, he has a reputation for making things up as the basis for his arguments.

Therefore, I trust that McCain knows as little about Calvinism as he does about Lutheran doctrine.

The UOJ fanatics are not a studious bunch.