Thursday, February 9, 2012

Don't Take My Word for It



The most frequent rant posted--one hoary with age--is against my extensive quotations. In fact, the most popular post of all times is a list of quotations - no commentary.

I began databasing quotations for my writing projects and increased the number when VP Wayne Mueller claimed there was "no Church Growth in WELS."

Unlike the MDiv popes, I do not want you to take my word for it. If you do not have clarity through the Word and the Confessions, you will not get it through me. If I can get people studying the Word itself and the Book of Concord, I am happy.

The UOJ Thought Police are eager to have everyone get out their authorities and pledge allegiance to this person or that one. They enjoy tying people in knots about what someone really thought or said. They are like the mama birds that struggle on the ground with a broken wing, to lead danger away from the nest of eggs. We had a plover in the church parking lot who did that dance perfectly. We would take children out, show them the next hidden in the rocks, and gently interrupt the mom. Off she would go, wing cocked as if broken, away from the nest.

The nest is the revealed Word of God. The Holy Spirit at work in the Word is our professor.