Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dangers of an In-Bred and Limited Education

"But I have a GMI certificate.
I designed the Volt."


rlschultz has left a new comment on your post "Fake-o-Blog Admits Poor Education and Laziness of ...":

I have an analogy from the corporate world. General Motors operated a school called the General Motors Institute. I heard a fellow bragging about how he went there for a year and became an Industrial Engineer in the ranks of, you guessed it, General Motors. Naturally, he was no longer working for GM, but had used his gift of gab to get involved in some pyramid scheme. When I worked for a division of GM, we called those guys "GMI Wonder Boys". A real, degreed engineer would come from a school that is recognized across industry. Typically, it was four years of very intensive study at a minimum, and not one year from GMI. If you really wanted a feather in your hat, you went for the Professional Engineer exam after graduation. It allowed to insert a comma and the letters "P.E." after your name. It sort of reminds me of the Babtist preachers who say that they have a call, but no formal education.

***

GJ - The illiterate preachers say they graduated from "the School of the Holy Spirit." Everyone is supposed to nod in wonder and in awe.

I was thinking of ending each post with "I. Studied. Greek. Did you?" But that would get tedious.