Sunday, March 11, 2012

The God of Abram Praise




"The God of Abraham Praise"
by Thomas Olivers, 1725-1799
1. The God of Abraham praise;
All praised be His name
Who was and is and is to be
And still the same!
The one eternal God,
Ere aught that now appears;
The First, the Last: beyond all thought
His timeless years!

2. The God of Abraham praise,
At whose supreme command
From earth I rise and seek the joys
At His right hand.
I all on earth forsake,
Its wisdom, fame, and power,
And Him my only Portion make,
My Shield and Tower.

3. He by Himself hath sworn,--
I on His oath depend,--
I shall, on eagles' wings upborne,
To heaven ascend;
I shall behold His face,
I shall His power adore
And sing the wonders of His grace
Forevermore.

4. The whole triumphant host
Give thanks to God on high;
"Hail, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!"
They ever cry.
Hail, Abraham's God and mine!--
I join the heavenly lays,--
All might and majesty are Thine,
And endless praise.

The Lutheran Hymnal
Hymn #40
Text: Ex. 3:6
Author: Thomas Olivers, c. 1770, cento
Tune: "Yigdal"
Melody: Hebrew, 17th century