Friday, March 9, 2012

Scriptural and Doctrinal Graphics


One of my Moline classmates got me going on the Hebrews graphics, so I decided to post the Luther graphics together. I have more plans in this area, since Photoshop is so much fun to use.

In the last year or so I learned a lot about what works in moving from graphic to Photoshop to blog. For instance, graphics that are 640 pixels wide reproduce the best and keep the quotation from fuzzing up. For that I need large files at the beginning. Some older photos are great, but the backgrounds need to be removed for the right effect. The newest versions of Photoshop should fix that. Separating hair from a background used to be impossible. I understand it is now easy. I am on PS 3. The newest version is 6.

False teachers really despise the quotations. They hate being quoted and they loathe Luther's statements.

I would do these if only one other person read them. To gather them, select them, and illustrate them is an education itself. I found that linking a graphic with a quotation helped me remember and find it more easily. One of my favorites is the lion sharpening his claws, because I remember watching the cartoon as a kid. The graphic fits dealing with sects, because they sharpen our knowledge of doctrine (or not - in the case of WELS, Missouri, and the Little Sect on the Prairie).

I have seen the graphics zinging around the Net already. I am happy to see that. No one needs to ask permission. It is easy to right click and save as on the computer, then use the graphic. It is also possible just to right click or mark the graphic and "copy image." That works as long as the graphic stays in place on my blog, which is fairly likely.

First I am going to do some doctrinal collections: Melanchthon, Chemnitz, lesser known orthodox, and American Lutherans. Each will have its own post and a link.

Second, I will work on Biblical graphics, using Norma Boeckler's art. I will probably add to the Hebrews collection because it is one of the most colorful books in the Bible. Next would be the Gospel of John.

John Ciardi, the poet who translated Dante's Inferno (and spoke at Augustana College) had an interesting comment in his lecture. The future Mrs. Ichabod and I heard it. Ciardi said, "Steal from the best."

The alleged Lutherans today steal garbage from the false teachers, a fact I pointed out to David Valleskey, when he dumped his load of bilge on the Ohio Conference, WELS.

He was arguing "spoiling the Egptians," a concept he got from that Fuller fan Larry Crab, who got it from Augustine. Valleskey was not stealing from Augustine but from Fuller. He wanted the ministers to think that Fuller insights were precious metals and gems.