Thursday, May 10, 2012

An Honest Way To Copy from Others


Bloggers can copy other Internet sources easily. Chrome (the browser from Google) makes that easy with a tool called Blog This!

I discovered Chrome's Blog This! and started using it some time ago. There is an orange icon with a B inside, to the right of my URL window, left of the Chrome wrench icon (tools).

When I am on an interesting article, I only need to click the B and have the page linked on my blog. There are three indications that this is from another source.

  • First, the source is in the headline. 
  • Second, the exact URL source is at the top of the page. 
  • Third, the selection ends with "via Blog This" to show that it was copied.
When quoting a source, I do my best to show exactly what I am quoting and where it is from. Sometimes I use a blue font to make the distinctions clearer.

Many pages have disappeared from the Net after being copied here. I keep them, knowing the Ichabod-effect leads to kilcreasing (the erasure of previous posts and comments).

I like to feature good comments from readers and from bloggers. Variety makes a blog more interesting.

I wondered why McCain's blog seems so sterile and boring. The answer is similar to the politician's speech. When he reads another's words, they are not his thoughts but another's. Reagan began with some ideas, had speech-writers, and then made the final effort his own with corrections and additions.



APA requires a citation and quotation marks when using the words of another. Longer quotations are marked with an indentation of the entire text. The issue is honesty, not the exact format.

Many years ago my wife and I tracked down a "Luther quote" by speaking to the author of the book where this first appeared (as far as we could tell). He did not know where it came from, he said, and there was no citation. Later, someone discovered it was a statement in a novel about Luther, as if Luther said it.

When I began assembling quotations to use in my writing, in Megatron, the legendary database, I included a complete citation with each entry. One quotation seemed wrong to Brett Meyer, so I went back to the printed source (Lenker) and discovered that it was correct but odd without an explanation about the context.