Monday, May 14, 2012

None Dare Call It Plagiarism:
Paul McCain Copies Verbatim,
Leaves Impression He Wrote the Post


The Fathers on the Historicity of Adam and Eve may not sound familiar to McCain fans. That's because the post I linked is currently published on Paul McCain's Cyberbrethren as -

The Historicity of Adam and Eve.

When I clicked on LaughQuest today, I was looking for news, scandal, and all those extra links that save me time. McCain directed everyone to his blog - to the plagiarized post.

Am I being too much a publisher and not enough a supplicant at the throne of Pope Paul the Unlearned?

I had to Google several times to find the source. At the bottom I saw HT to the author - Pastor Henderson Hat tip? I have had things stolen from me, but never with a hat tip. No first name for the pastor? Why not a direct link to the post?

The actual author has a complete bio here -

I am Mark Henderson (aka 'acroamaticus' when I was writing this blog incognito). I was christened (baptised) in the Church of England but joined the Lutheran Church by profession of faith (16 years ago), after discovering that all that is best in the Anglican 39 Articles of Religion finds fuller and clearer expression in the Augsburg Confession. I'm still fond of the Anglican Church, but often perplexed by it; I guess you could say I'm 'Anglo-Lutheran'. I graduated from Luther Seminary in 2002 with a B.Th. (Hons) & Grad. Dip. Min. I am a called and ordained minister serving a parish of the Lutheran Church of Australia. 'Glosses From An Old Manse', is a play on the title of the collection of short stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne, 'Mosses from an Old Manse'. 'Glosses' are the interpretive notes you find scribbled on the margins of texts. Since blogging is not really a medium suited to the extended treatment of theology, the idea of these blog posts as mere glosses written on the margins of theology and life from the study of a virtual 'old manse' seems appropriate.

I would offer a hat tip if someone directed me to something new, although most people forego being named on Ichabod. They know I am grateful for the Hardt essay, the Knapp information, and many more things.

We all know McCain admires Walther, but is it appropriate for someone in the publishing racket to put his blog on auto-steal and take credit for the posts?

I think not. That would be a firing offense in journalism or academics. CPH seems to have elastic ethics for friends of Otten and Harrison.

LaughQuest is so busy condemning everyone on a daily basis. Why do they serve as enablers for plagiarism?

PS - McCain used a different graphic for Adam and Eve. He probably knows how easy it is to track a graphic with Google. Slide the picture into Google Images and the source shows up.

---

LPC has left a new comment on your post "None Dare Call It Plagiarism: Paul McCain Copies V...":

We had a Vice-Chancellor (in USA it is equal to the CEO of the university) in my university resigned because one of the the profs showed proof that the VC plagiarized.

There is zero toleration even for those claiming neglect in giving credits.

It is amazing that the Synods have very low standards compared to the world.


LPC