Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Do Not Question Holy Mother Synod

I always thought it was God's truth, not the organization's truth.



If you wish to be calm do not read rebellious books or pamphlets that mention Church matters, since you are not responsible for such serious affairs. You have need of books that will assist you in YOUR repentance. If you want to help the Church, correct YOURSELF and immediately amendment is made to a small part of the Church. Naturally, if everyone did this, then the Church would be put in order.

~ Elder Paisios the Athonite

***

GJ - I am on the FB list for reading the Holy Fathers, who seem to be infinite in number. Eastern Orthodoxy went through so many bloody purges in the Byzantine Empire that they became an anti-confessional church body. That explains why the anti-confessional graduates of the LCMS cemeteries get drawn to Eastern Orthodoxy. There they can enjoy the smells and bells without being troubled by sound doctrine...or any doctrine at all. But of course, that too is a doctrinal stance, if only one of constant retreat.

I phoned a Greek Orthodox church to ask about their emphasis upon Mary, the alleged Assumption, and Purgatory. The priest tried to deny teaching Purgatory. I wanted to say, "Hello? Do I have the wrong number? You are a sister church of Rome." Eventually he conceded Purgatory as common sense. He went on to say that the Assumption was so important that they spent two weeks getting ready for it.

The quotation above also reminded me of Bishop Jon Buchholz's emails to me, where he sought to assure me of his loathing for Church Growth and his correct understanding of justification. What prevails in his communication is the emphasis upon "our" doctrine - which means Wisconsin Sect dogma. He acted as if he read Thy Strong Word, but when challenged on it, he said, "I haven't unpacked it from the move to Phoenix." However, he had a whole photo album on FB about digging a swimming pool larger than the Sea of Gallilee. First things first, of course.

In his FB albums were his various home projects. I have never found a UOJ advocate who was studious. They is why Buchholz can listen to Jay Webber with his mouth wide open in awe: fakes admire fakes.

I was chided in WELS for giving original papers. One pastor advised me, "You are supposed to repeat what was in the Meyer dog notes."