Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Could Use The Handbook to The Lutheran Hymnal

http://firstlutheranmoline.org/history.html

I really need The Handbook to The Lutheran Hymnal for the work I am doing. Pollock has a lot of resources in the little volume, such as all the verses to the hymns use, original wording, author biographies, etc.

A regular reader of this blog is mailing his copy. I like the handbook for a variety of reasons. One is the way he groups all the hymns by the same author or composer. The biographies are very good. I also appreciate all the verses in the original and the original language.

Like many others, I appreciate The Lutheran Hymnal more and more. In one university class in California, TLH was used as an example of excellent harmonization and arrangement. That was a secular music class.

WELS and Missouri replaced it. They could have issued a new edition with larger print and some modest changes. No, they wanted to show everyone how good they were.