Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Step Up for a Liter of WELS Kool-Aid



WELS Member A

A) Jeske is not my "media hero". I think his program can be a benefitial (sic) outreach tool. B ) WELS doesn't hate justification by faith, Luther's doctrine, or the Book of Concord.

I was kidding earlier, but I go back to "NO ONE IS PERFECT" (except God). Have there been some mis-steps and mistakes made by individuals? Yes, of course. But, to attempt to paint the entire synod the way you have is not right.




---




WELS Member B

I'm curious as to what exactly you mean, Mr. Jackson. If anything, WELS is *too* focused on Justification by Faith, not at all opposed to it. Sometimes, the WELS is so focused on the message that we are justified by Faith apart from works, that the proper place of good works in the walk of a Christian is under-emphasised (sic). I would hardly call that "hat[ing] Justification by Faith."

I will be the first to say there are some teachings where I feel the WELS position could use some slight tweaking; but not in any of the essential doctrines. But I would hardly call them anti-Confessional. As for "Luther's Doctrine" Luther was not an Apostle. We are not required to believe something Luther said just because Luther said it. In about 98.5% of doctrinal issues, I think Luther has a correct Biblical understanding. But that is why I am a Lutheran. Not because I accept Luther's word because it is Luther's word, but because I am convinced that the overwhelming majority of Lutheran doctrine in soundly rooted in Scripture. But if there is anything of Luther's which is not soundly Scriptural, it ought to be thrown away. Luther himself even said that.


---

Pastor emeritus Nathan Bickel has left a new comment on your post "Step Up for a Liter of WELS Kool-Aid":

Ichabod -

Interesting and naive comments by WELS members, A and B. And, are we supposed to believe also, that David Valleskey didn't wear horned rimmed glasses?

***

GJ - I could have reproduced a few more straw man arguments from the discussion - all typical of the WELS repeat-after-me catechism. The WELS/ELS clergy repeat the same old clunkers, too - if they want to stay in their synods.

Luther was not an apostle? I remember learning James, Peter, John, Martin....