Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Controversy Promotes Learning:
Stifling Produces False Doctrine


I am happy to see a number of people engaged in publishing. The day of the denominational press monopoly is over. A printed book used to run up $25,000 in initial costs. Then computer set ups reduced that to $3000. Now a book can be written, designed, and printed without any extra money - sent all over the world instantly and for free.

I learn constantly from the UOJ conflict. Laity and pastors have great insights to offer, and they do a lot of research that I often use here.

I was thinking how much I learned from studying Luther's Galatians Commentary again. I read every page to my wife, years ago, took notes before, quoted it before, but I read it again for graphics. If I produced a graphic for every new insight in that book, I would be unemployed and homeless. 

I am thankful for being pushed into more work with Luther, and happy that others are pursuing additional research in other areas.

Most Lutheran clergy, professors, and leaders are not going to open up the Galatians Commentary. They think they know Luther from seminary and want to stick to their talking points. Why unsettle the foundations of the anti-Luther sect? 

But laity do appreciate the Galatians Commentary. One person wrote, "Now I need a second one, because the first is covered with marks." I hear ya. Mine is bent and marked and broken in the spine. Read, mark, and inwardly digest.