Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Classic Ichabod - Cinnamon Coffee

Friday, November 5, 2010

Cinnamon Coffee from the Master Chef

The Velie Mansion, Moline, was once The Plantation, known for great food.


Great coffee starts with high quality beans. I buy Starbucks beans from Sam's Club, which costs $8 a pound, about half the price of Gevalia or other expensive beans. Those who drink Sanka may think $8 a pound is expensive, but that comes down to $1 per pot of coffee (8 cups), or 12 cents a cup. I drink 4 cups in the morning, which may explain my energy.

One vente latte at Starbucks is $4, and that is nothing more than my coffee with sugar and milk products added.

A good coffee maker will drop the brew into a thermo-carafe instead of a glass pot on a burner. Coffee is meant to be enjoyed rather than burnt to death. At my father's coffee and doughnut shop, coffee was kept on the burner no more than 15 minutes. We used a special blend at that time, which included Maxwell House and Yuban. Leaning into the coffee barrel to get more Yuban was one of my favorite chores at the doughnut shop. Eating fresh danish was forbidden, because they were expensive to make and time-consuming. More than once I had a warm danish on the way down into the basement for bags of coffee.

The key to making great cinnamon coffee is not buying one of those special coffees which claim to be cinnamon coffees. I suspect they use a chemical flavoring agent, which is fine if one's taste buds were shot out in a war or destroyed from eating too many habanero peppers.

The answer is quite simple. I sprinkle pure cinnamon on top of the grounds before I make a pot of coffee. I put enough on the grounds to cover the top with a light dusting.

Mrs. Ichabod and I love it. Guests also love it. I made it every day for our artist in residence, Norma Boeckler, and for others as well.

6 comments:

Joel said...
Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll try that the next time I make coffee.

But seriously, dude, cut down on the coffee. You're on your way to a stroke.
Gregory L. Jackson said...
Coffee elevates the BP temporarily. My last test was 120/80. I need to cut down on carbos more, and I am doing that.
churchmousec said...
Joel,

Just as a point of interest, many of us 'bold' or strong coffee drinkers have found that this type of blend -- including strengths up through espresso -- are actually better for our hearts and stomach linings than the weaker 'old socks' coffees that Americans are traditionally used to drinking. (I can't drink those without my heart racing, never mind the indigestion.)

The stronger the blend, the milder the 'buzz' and acid quotient.

Dr J -- Cinnamon coffee sounds great. Never thought of that. I'm partial to hazelnut syrup myself (it's an Italian brand).

All best wishes
Churchmouse
Garrett said...
Oooooh. My dorm room has a sadly underused coffeemaker. I ought to try this recipe -- I shall christen itIchabucks. Certainly that should help keep me alert for my daily Greek quizzes.
churchmousec said...
Dr Jackson

Many thanks for this fine recommendation. I tried it today (why didn't I think of it before -- it's so simple??) and can hardly wait for tomorrow morning!

Have you experimented with a small capful of vanilla or almond essence? I'll try that next. Gee, potentially, one could have a different flavoured coffee every day. Wow -- now that's part of enjoying God's creation.

Thank you once again
Churchmouse
Gregory L. Jackson said...
Long ago I had vanilla coffee and enjoyed it. Today I had cinnamon coffee.