Tuesday, May 13, 2014

No Wonder Teachers Live So Long

My mother kept copies of this 1931 photograph in the original folder." Co-ed 1931."
She was leaving for Teacher's College, to teach in one-room rural schools,
finally in the Moline system and at Illinois State University.

I finished another semester at Ecclesia College, teaching English composition and creative writing. On Saturday I marched with the faculty in the graduation procession. The hall was standing room only, even with panic searches for extra chairs.

I teach the first and second year students, so now I will know most of the students by name, which is great fun during lunch. "Ely - glad to see you have recovered enough to eat lunch today. We were all sorry about your life-threatening illness this morning."  Ely - "I wasn't sick. I was sleeping." GJ - "As I suspected, looking at your plate."

Younger students enjoy bantering in class and around the small campus. When I mark people late for class or confiscate a cell phone, the "hanging judge" votes on their verdict. Most of the time, she indicates a noose, which is followed by dramatic cries of outrage. We have a lot of fun.

Every school has anonymous student evaluations. The undergrads have to post an evaluation before they can read their grades, so they are motivated.

The illiterates of Fox Valley and Mequon will be saddened by the results from the institutions of higher education where I work. I receive the highest ratings at all the schools, and one school has put me in their top 10% of instructors with additional training.

Every day I write. Either I am posting to the blog, writing for online students, or grading classroom students  using an online platform.

“I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth.” 
― Martin Luther

“A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” 
― Henry Adams


Mom earned her BA 12 years later, from Augustana College,
which is where I met Mrs. I on the first day of class.