Monday, August 18, 2014

Leveraging the Rain: Mulch, Earthworms

This illustration omits the crucial work of earthworms in the nitrogen cycle.
They are all muscle, so they contribute nitrogen through their kidneys
and when decomposing.


Why am I writing at 3 AM? I fell asleep very early and woke up to a thunderclap right over our house. That reminded me of the open windows of our limo, since I dis-believed for joy the report of rain on the way. By the time I wiped the seats dry and closed the windows, I was wide awake.

The rain is doing my work in creating blooms throughout the gardens. I know the compost pile, where my pet pumpkin plant is trying grow, will benefit from a thorough soaking. New vegetation from my yard (crepe myrtle) and my neighbor's garden is on top and ready to start the decomposition cycle.

By God's design, a tiny bit of work will be leveraged by the rain.

Sandy soil will not support as much life because it is relatively sterile and easily damaged by wind and water erosion.

Clay soil has a lot of potential, but rain can run off a baked surface and not reach the roots as well. Plants are root-bound in a clay pot and likewise hampered in heavy clay soil.

However, adding organic matter and earthworms will benefit both types of soil. Rich loam is ideal, so that is going to do well regardless. Sand and clay need some help.

When the rain falls on a garden area covered with mulch, finished compost, composted manure, grass clippings, or newspapers, the organic matter will hold onto the moisture and promote the growth of bacteria and soil creatures - the denizens of rot and decay.

The earthworm is a custom-designed little cow that grazes on bacteria, which are mostly protein, and the earthworm is mostly protein (all muscle). Unlike the rest of us, earthworms adore yesterdays's newspaper, and grow fat on the lignin they devour. The net result of earthworms and organic matter will be a storage of moisture and growth compounds for all plants.

Sandy soil with more organic matter will stick together better and support more life. Clay soil will be dug by earthworms and soil creatures and release its mineral ions more easily.

Mulch will hold in the moisture and keep the topsoil from blowing away in the wind. My distant neighbor's roses are not pruned and not mulched. The soil around them was dry and white before the rain. This storm will run off some of his top soil. The roses will revive somewhat, but the moisture in the soil will evaporate quickly and the sad state of the roses will continue.

Purple crepe myrtle shows how abundant the blooms can be.


Crepe myrtle will mulch itself with falling leaves and flower petals, and the plant will tolerate long dry spells. However, by mulching the bush with shredded cypress and cut up branches, I increased the plant's ability to pump rain from the soil. In a neighborhood where this plant is abundant, I want the champion plant. Very little work is needed, but some work is required. The bush did not become fully alive until it was initially earthwormed and pruned. Encouraged by the best blooms in the area, I added mulch and pruned heavily.

Our helper is alarmed and anxious about weeds in the sunny garden. He clipped some of the crabgrass away, but ran into some of the good plants, which are well hidden. I was using the braille system yesterday to find tomatoes when I found a pumpkin growing, hidden away. No wonder the vine has started its march across the lawn to gather solar energy for the fruit.

My first effort has been to open up and provide sun for gardening. Before I had a front and backyard shaded by untrimmed trees, covered with grass and a wide variety of weeds.

Beans, borage, and gourds are appearing in abundance. Roses are soaking up the rain and blooming profusely. The more I harvest the fruit and flowers, the more I have.

The tomato flower is the promise of fruit will real flavor,
unlike the hothouse tomatoes of the store.