Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Law of Physics - I Garden in Every Plot of Land I Occupy

Butterfly Bush is also good for hummingbirds.



Team Jackson was discussing my garden plans for next year. Little Ichabod volunteered, "It is a law of physics. Dad gardens in every plot of land he occupies."

I laughed about how futile that was in Bella Vista, where a pickax is the only useful gardening tool. Between the excessive shade and the lack of soil, I did little gardening. I planted some roses, and the results were doomed.

Butterfly Weed is related to milkweed,
and Monarch butterflies like both plants.
I have planted roses everywhere, and tutored others in how to have beautiful blooms with relatively little work. One newbie bawled when I pruned the deadwood off her roses by 50%. She wept again (for joy) when the roses bloomed in two weeks, as I predicted. Later, for a special event, she pruned all her roses early, and they all bloomed in time for the party.

Roses need mulch, plenty of water, soil creatures, and regular pruning. If the gardener gives roses away all the time, the roses will thrive from that pruning. Newbies do not realize that the act of cutting off deadwood and new flowers will promote cane, flower, and root growth.

One of my Facebook friends said his citrus were not responding to all the Miracle Gro he is applying. I said, "You are killing the soil creatures." That reminded me of the gardening center warning me against goat manure on my tangelo and lemon trees. "Manure is salty. Phoenix already has salty soil." What he suggested was an inorganic salt.

As Marx would say, "Goat manure is free. Miracle Gro is cheap to make but very expensive to buy. Another capitalist plot."

Butterflies like to puddle in mud or manure.

Previous experience showed me that I could turn lawn into rich, composted soil by shading it with organics. One accidental episode was covering an area with pine branches. I wanted to create a shelter for animals in New Ulm, Minnesota. In spring the lawn was gone (for a short time) and the soil was easily dug. Now I create shelters for soil creatures by shutting off the sunlight with newspapers and wood mulch. I knew that was good for earthworms and bacteria, but I soon learned that fungi also thrived because of the wood. All three components (and protozoa) are major donors to soil and plant health. Those four can be generated at a very low cost.

Gardening areas for next year:

  1. The Fence Garden includes around 200 feet of fence with soaker hose to fixed on top for even, easy watering. Vining plants, sunflowers, and butterfly plants will be on or near this fence.
  2. The Vegetable Garden has begun with spinach. Favorites for this plot will be tomatoes, okra, and other favorite food plants.
  3. The Corn Patch. The sunniest back yard plot is covered with mulch now. Silver Queen corn, pumpkins, and pole beans will grow there.
  4. The Sunny Garden. This area gets the most intense sun, so I will use straw bales for strawberries, potatoes, and some other produce.
  5. The Rose Garden. We have room for more bushes, so I will add Mr. Lincoln (red, fragrant), Pope John Paul II (white), Double Delight, and Queen Elizabeth.
  6. Maple Tree Garden. I have moved the perimeter out and will prune the tree more, so I am sure Mr. Lincoln will thrive there, perhaps with white roses for contrast.
  7. North Garden. We have mulched some areas where weeds were thriving. Oddly, this area is rather sunny and should support some plants, as opportunities (sales) arise.


Our helper asked how we would deal with all the mulch. That is simple. Where we want to plant, we rake back some mulch in that row and leave the rest in place. As I found out this fall, the damp newspaper gives way and the soil is soft for planting underneath.



I have found Mr. Lincoln online for $8,
but the going rate for new roses is $30 per bush.