Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Prepping for Edible Pod Peas

Directions for dragon claws are here - can be used for salads.

 In Midland I put chicken wire around the entire garage for supporting edible pod peas, and I made a teepee to support more. Needless to say, longing turned to loathing during the harvesting season, which was extended by picking them (more flowering, more fruiting, just like beans and roses). Our members from Hong Kong got two large sacks of dragon claws for their soup, a real delicacy for them. I said, "Don't worry. We will have even more tendrils because I harvested these." And we did.

The rabbits ate vines galore too.

I am planning on repeating this along the fence. Our helper came by looking for a project. I had a wheelbarrow full of soggy newspapers, which are ideal for laying down. I was only needing some organic paperweights, like mushroom compost, soil, or mulch.

Sassy and I went out to do some errands that would necessarily take us by Lowe's, so I decided to pick up some then. Lowe's welcomes dogs, and she loves the attention she gets there. I take her in without a leash each time. She obeys hand signals and voice commands.

We walked in together and I saw straw bales. I had a conversation about when they would be available in the spring and how much they cost - $6 for large ones. Many use them for Halloween displays, but that is not a holy day in our house. The worker said stray bale gardening was really growing in the area.

I ordered some mulch and mushroom compost. Instead of relying on a phone message (not always effective at Lowe's if a teen gets it) we went out looking for guys with big carts. Sassy was excited so she walked around with her happy bark. That got immediate attention in the back and I showed them my receipt.

"Do you have a truck?" I said, "I have a Lincoln Town Car."

We walked back and found the clerk squatting low to the ground with her arms out for Sassy. Our wonderdog wiggled all the way there and loved getting petted and praised. "Oh, you are the most beautiful dog!" Once the cart came toward us we went to the car. Sassy waits at crossings and crosses with me. She got in the car and we soon had our load.

The store could be fussy about dogs, but they welcome dogs without leashes. Sassy has often has a meet and greet with other loose dogs shopping in the garden department. The clerks are unusually welcoming and she knows she is welcome.



Peas love cold weather and can be planted before the last snow fall. Snow peas, right?

They are shallow rooted and enjoy sweet soil. I had them thrive in gravely (limestone) soil.