The Glory Has Departed
Bethany Lutheran Worship on
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Obituary for Pastor John C. Jeske
Pastor John Carl Edward Jeske
In February of 1924 God gave a son to John Gustave and Elizabeth Jeske of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The father taught his family the faith and love that are Christianity. The son never wanted to be anything but a Lutheran pastor like his father.
John C. Jeske would spend all but one year of his long ministry in a small Wisconsin triangle, between Milwaukee, Mequon and Watertown. God gave him a love for people, and it was people he served with his mind and his heart and his will and his hands.
In 1948 John served as a Tutor at Dr. Martin Luther College in New Ulm, MN. In 1949 he was assigned from seminary to St. Marcus Evangelical Lutheran Church in Milwaukee. In 1952 Jeske was called to serve St. John’s, on 68th & Forest Home Avenue, at that time called Root Creek. Christmas of 1969 saw his family move to Mequon where he joined the faculty of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary.
During his Seminary years, Professor Jeske served three congregations that were without a pastor: Brown Deer, Grafton, and northwest Milwaukee. Jeske also served as a traveling professor in Siberia and in Japan.