Saturday, January 10, 2015

Vertical Gardening - When Everything Is Growing Up.
Chain-Link Fences Beg To Go Green

Wisteria: not my fence...yet.
Chain-link fences are the norm in our area, and I am pleased with 200 linear feet of it around the backyard. First we wanted a fence for Sassy Sue the Wonder-Dog. But once I got the trees trimmed back and sunlight in the yard, the fence offered a unique opportunity for gardening.

For the summer of 2014, I had gourds growing riotously along the top of the fence, so many pole beans that Mrs. I said, "No more," and some odd things like Malabar spinach.

That stretch of fence will  have asparagus every six inches or so. Peas will grow there early, beans later.

The back section is against the alley and good for adding to the bird and butterfly area.

The sunny right section, next to Mr. Gardener's yard, will be a line of roses. I thought of running plants up that fence, but that would make his side of the fence messy, perhaps weedy. Mrs. Gardener loves roses and is delighted at the plans. (Always sell the wife first.)

Some call this vertical gardening. They build elaborate frames to maximize their garden space. I have mine for free, with enough space to try various plants.

Chicago Peace

Pink Peace

Peace